5 Best Pacifiers For Breastfed Babies: A Complete Review
Do you need a pacifier for your newborn? Is it safe in the first place? Being a parent involves making lots of new purchasing decisions and buying a pacifier is among your questions. So how to pick best pacifiers for a breastfed baby?
For this article, let me give you some insights about what the pacifiers do and a few safety tips too.
Let 's start by discussing the functions and benefits of a pacifier!
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
Why Do I Need a Pacifier?
• Discourages the habit of thumb sucking. This habit is a little nasty and hard to break. A pacifier helps to prevent this habit from happening in the first place by being a better alternative to baby’s thumb.
• It soothes baby during days when mom’s breast is not handy. Babies get a lot of comfort by sucking. This sucking reflex is natural to us as infants, and it soothes babies to sleep.
The pacifier will come handy during times when mom is not around, a baby is still crying, and the formula milk has already been consumed.
But take note:
Not all babies will appreciate a pacifier. Some will readily suck while others will just throw it out. Do not push your child to use one; some babies are just naturally disinterested with pacifiers. This one you can never tell, unless you had tried giving a pacifier to a baby.
• It soothes babies until such time that they are old enough to walk and play on their own. There are some tried and tested pacifier brands in the market that are safe enough for newborn breastfeeding babies.
Let me just give you a little piece of advice:
While it is OK to give pacifiers to a newborn, medical doctors highly recommend that the prime age to introduce pacifier is beginning at 4-6 months of age.
How to Choose Best Pacifiers?
# Say no to BPA!
Some unbranded pacifiers from unknown sources might contain the harmful chemical BPA. It is best to buy from a trusted brand, especially those that are labeled as “BPA Free”.
# Pacifier can be boiled or sterilized safely.
What is the use of having a fancy-looking pacifier if it is unclean?
Your pacifier can be made of medical-grade silicon or latex. Both are OK, as long as your baby has no latex allergy (for latex-based pacifiers).
What’s important is:
These pacifiers must be tough and safe enough for high heat during sterilization, dishwashing or boiling. Check the label so that you may decide if it will be and safe hygienic in the long run. Read my guideline to sterilize pacifiers:
Top 5 Best Pacifiers for Breastfed Babies
Pacifiers are of all colors and shapes. However, if you are looking for a safe pacifier for your breastfeeding newborn, may I suggest the following brands?
The MAM pacifiers provide the best fit at a cheap price. This is a good value for money considering that this is made of super soft and durable clear silicone.
Its symmetrical orthodontic design is just right for newborns up to six months of age.
Of the proper size and texture, it will ensure that baby’s palate and teeth will grow without obstruction. The shield won’t impede baby’s breathing while its holes give adequate circulation so that baby’s skin will not get soggy.
- Its original anti-slip surface ensures that the pacifier stays on baby’s mouth.
- Having a glow-in-the-dark design is a great idea. Baby can easily find this on a dark crib. Mom can also spot this fast even with dim light at night.
- You have to be careful on washing this pacifier. Water and moisture tend to get inside the pacifier body and it’s difficult to take them out. Mold and germs can develop if this is not cleaned and sterilized thoroughly.
This super cute pacifier has an attached plush toy giraffe at the mouthpiece. WubbaNub has other stuffed animal models such as stuffed dog, elephant, penguin, and monkey; enough design choices to give a baby some pleasant distraction for longer stretches of time.
Due to the animals toys attached to the pacifier the baby got fully attracted to the toy and can chew the nipple to get relax and calm. This is most suitable for the babies of young age to keep them calm and relax.
The pacifier itself is a one-piece simple design, made of non-toxic polyethylene and is certified non-toxic and latex-free.
This particular model fits newborn or babies that are yet to grow their teeth. Once the first set of teeth has erupted, buy a different brand. If you are looking for a pacifier and a toy rolled in one, this is it!
- The attached toy animal makes it easier to find should the pacifier it falls down.
- It is soothing for babies to have a toy to hug and play, it keeps them preoccupied for hours.
- Since the toy is included on the construction, you have to wash the pacifier with the toy. It can be difficult to sterilize this thoroughly with the plush toy insert.
This medically recommended pacifier is too cute for little boys! I totally adore the mustache design that makes them look like little gentlemen. Moreover while chewing the pacifier by the baby you can take pictures of his cute face with mostache and can share on social media and with your friends offline.
This design is small enough for newborn babies. The mustache attachment is not detachable but is soft enough that there will be not face lines even after hours of using this pacifier.
With its orthodontic washable one-piece design, silicon constitution, and ventilation holes, the Mustachifier is equally recommended both by proud dads and veteran pediatricians.
- Its orthodontic shape fits into baby’s mouth well. Flexible and of the right dimensions, it won’t come down easily.
- This pacifier is a great gift idea because it is useful and looks hilarious. This is perfect for parents with a sense of humor, it can even complement baby’s cowboy outfit.
- There are a few cases when the nipple part can get detached from the pacifier body. This is not made of one-piece material so there is a risk that this detached part can dislodge while inside baby’s mouth, causing choking.
The Philips Avent brand is tried and tested by hospitals and parents. The brand doesn’t compromise on quality and safety. This BPA free hospital-grade silicone pacifier is made fit enough for babies 0-3 months of age.
The orthodontic mold lets baby’s gums have a free rein, thus preventing teeth misalignment later in toddler age.
I like the minimalist one-piece design which is easy to clean and sterilize. Not much fuss, but all reliable and something that can be useful for a long time.
- Recommended by doctors, the design and construction is flexible and safe for your newborn’s developing gums. Your baby’s teeth can grow well as the design is not too rigid, allowing normal dental growth.
- Its one-piece construction is easy to wash and clean. You can even put this safely at the sterilizer or sterilize it through boiling water.
- Its design can fall off easily from baby’s mouth. There is no provision for hooks or straps to safeguard it from falling.
- The circular design around the lips may impede breathing for small babies. On other pacifier brands, there is a groove below the nose so that air can move freely. This one is circular all over and can risk decreasing the air intake of a child if it is immediately on top of the nose.
If your little one has been refusing every other pacifier you offered, the Tommee Tippee pacifier is worth the try.
Staying true to its name “Closer to Nature”, this pacifier indeed very close to nature as it claims to replicate the feel and structure of a true nipple.
As a result, nipple confusion is a rare occurrence.
Some moms even claim that this is the only pacifier their babies would take. Nothing else. So I guess it’s safe to say that there’s something in this paci that makes babies feel comfortable using it the very first time.
This pacifier supports natural oral development. I’ve heard plenty of moms saying pacifiers may distort a baby’s oral shape, but that’s not a problem with Tommee Tippee. The Symmetrical orthodontic shaped nipple is easy to latch on to and at the same time makes sure oral development is not hampered in any way.
Lastly, the Tommee Tippee Pacifier is guaranteed BPA-free, so you’re assured it’s safe for your baby.
- Doesn't cause nipple confusion.
- Supports natural oral development.
- The decor rubs off over time.
It’s All Up To You To Decide!
A pacifier is effective; it has made our daily jobs as parents so much easier. As with anything, there are benefits and contraindications. Pediatricians are also divided in terms of their opinion about pacifier use for newborns.
As a concerned parent, read and research first. Devour on the vast information available online and consult your child’s doctor before you make a choice.
May I also suggest that you consider buying a tried and tested pacifier brand? Do not skip on a pacifier’s cost; check its quality and safety first. Never experiment with a new design or a new brand, consider your child’s health and safety first of all.
Clean it regularly and replace it as necessary. Remember also that it is an item that must be weaned from baby eventually. What’s important is that a pacifier must never be meant to replace a baby’s feeding or milk. It is also not made to be an all-in comforter. A parent’s attention and hugs is still the baby’s best pacifier.
Do you have other useful tips to calm a baby? If yes, please share your thoughts in the comment section below!